If you’re a North Carolina-based firefighter looking for work, or interested in becoming a firefighter, the Winston-Salem Fire and Rescue squad may be the right place for you. The North Carolina fire department is looking to hire firefighters, with an application deadline of July 21, 2019.
More about the Role:
Deadline to Apply: July 21, 2019
Salary: $37,590.00 Annually Annually
Under the immediate supervision of a company officer, works to minimize the effects of natural and manmade disasters by delivering community risk reduction programs and by responding to fire, medical, and technical rescue emergencies.. Examples of Duties:1. Actively participate in activities related to risk reduction programs and pre-incident analysis.
2. Respond to emergencies and work as part of team to bring various emergencies under control, including medical incidents, fires, hazardous materials incidents, and heavy/technical rescue situations.
3. Assist in maintaining facilities and grounds, fire apparatus, tools, and equipment.
4. Actively participate in training classes, drills, and continuing education.
5. Ensure operational readiness of tools, equipment, and apparatus.
6. Maintain physical fitness and mental toughness required to perform effectively as a firefighter.
7. Follow departmental and City policies.
8. Perform other duties, including some administrative, as directed.
1. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and be comfortable with the resulting increased respiratory effort and decreased vision and range of motion.
2. Climb six or more flights of stairs while wearing or carrying 50 pounds of gear and tools/equipment.
3. Climb ladders and operate from heights of at least 100 feet.
4. Be comfortable operating in the dark and in confined spaces, in high or low temperatures, in inclement weather, and over uneven terrain.
5. Sit, stand, walk, run, crawl, jog, crouch, and kneel for short and long periods of time.
6. Hear and speak well enough to communicate via telephone, radio, and in person at distances up to 50 feet and over high background noise.
7. Stamina to meet physical and mental demands during an extended emergency.
8. Read and interpret various technical documents, manuals, and trade journals.
9. Communicate clearly and concisely, both in writing and speech.
10. Function as a team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
11. Amiably interact with members of the public, coworkers, and other emergency services agency members.
12. Work a rotating shift schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
13. Occasionally travel out of town or out of state for several days at a time.
14. Obtain and maintain a class “B” North Carolina Driver License
15. Pass a pre-employment and annual medical exam adhering to the standards contained in NFPA 1582: Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments and an annual physical fitness-for-duty test.
1. High school diploma or GED equivalent
2. State-issued Class “C” driver license
3. Must be at least 18 years of age on the first day of recruit school
4. Successfully complete all required pre-hire qualifications
Training and Certifications
Applicants who are successfully hired as a recruit firefighter/EMT must become a certified firefighter by the North Carolina Fire & Rescue Commission and as an emergency medical technician by the North Carolina Office of EMS. All training required to meet the necessary qualifications of a firefighter/EMT is provided by the Winston-Salem Fire Department and recruits receive salary and benefits during the approximate six-month training academy. One is not required to have any fire or emergency medical experience prior to submitting an application and no preference is given to applicants who do possess prior experience or are already certified. However, individuals who are certified at the time of hire may not have to complete the entire training program. An approximate six-week orientation and evaluation process will be conducted for those already certified and, if acceptable knowledge, skills, and abilities are demonstrated, these individuals may be exempted from the full training regimen. The State of North Carolina grants certification reciprocity for firefighter from both IFSAC and ProBoard states. For information on out-of-state EMT reciprocity, please visit https://www.ncems.org/
Supplemental Information:1. Lift, carry or move objects up to 75 lbs.
2. Ability to drive departmental vehicles.
3. Physically fit enough to carry fire equipment as needed, walk over rough terrain, climb hills, load and unload vehicles, and work outdoors for long periods of time in all types of weather conditions and to safely wear and work in a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) without medical or physical restrictions.
4. Ability to pass an annual NFPA 1582-compliant physical and an annual fitness-for-duty test.
Firefighter Trainee Salary
No Degree —————–$37,590.00
Associates Degree ——–$39,469.50
Certified Firefighter Salary
No Degree —————- $39,469.50
Associates Degree ——–$41,442.98
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.